How a Media Buyer Benefits Your Business
You have a business and you want people to know about it, but how do you go about doing this? If you’re like most business owners, you’re probably thinking, “I need to advertise!” So, you go online and look up the local stations and publications and you reach out to their advertising departments. Or, perhaps they have already contacted you. In either case, you enter the crazy world of media buying and each person you meet with has a “special offer” they can give you if you commit to a 6- or 12-month campaign.
This is not a bad thing by any means, but how will you know if you’re putting your dollars to best use? Sample Blockquote
This is not a bad thing by any means, but how will you know if you’re putting your dollars to best use? How do you know if Option A is the same, better or worse than Option B? Unless you have done extensive homework on each media outlet, your company’s goals and audience, you probably won’t. This is where a media buyer can be extremely helpful.’
A media buyer learns about your business, takes time to understand your short- and long-term goals and researches your target audiences and competitors. A media buyer invests in understanding what your business is all about so they can see the big picture. A media buyer will also help you determine the most effective methods for communicating your message to the right people in the right place and at the right time.
The truth is that any media outlet you choose for advertising has the potential to be effective. However, a skilled media buyer will know how and where to place your advertising in order to maximize effectiveness.
Now, I feel it is important to say something here about the account executives whom you will encounter from each of the media outlets. These are good people and, like a media buyer, they want to see you be successful. Each of them would agree that a mixed media strategy is best (i.e. television + radio + print + online) but they are limited in that they can only promote and sell their particular set of advertising products. This gives a biased perspective and a solution that is not necessarily going to be the best fit for your business.
When you work with a media buyer, there are several advantages:
- Neutral, third-party perspective on which outlets will be best to achieve your goals.
- Experience and knowledge about what is needed to make a successful campaign.
- Centralized management for to ensure consistent messaging and branding across all media, and auditing to make sure you get what you pay for.
- A gatekeeper to make sure you’re not bothered with opportunities that are not a good fit.
- Negotiating power to get you added value packages for your campaign and to save you money.
As you can see, media buyers can add a great deal of value to your business. When considering your next advertising campaign, the following things will help your media buyer successfully support your business.
- Know who your target audience is. This information will help determine which types of media (TV, radio, print, outdoor, etc.) will be most effective in getting your message across to your customers. It will also enable your media buyer to assist with creating messages that will resonate well.
- Plan ahead. Media buying is not something that is best done spur of the moment. Before you engage in advertising, think about your goals and what you want the campaign to achieve for your business. Once your goals are identified, think about the budget you can allocate to the campaign. Media buying often needs to be done two months or more in advance, especially for popular programs or publications, so planning ahead is key.
- Commit to your campaign. Running an ad one time, or doing a radio spot for one week will not generate good results, nor is it a good use of your precious advertising dollars. Only when you have the budget to sustain your campaign over time will it be effective in reaching your goals. An exception to this rule is when your business is promoting a one-time event.
If you are considering how to advertise your business, please give us a call. We would love to explore the possibilities with you.