New Kid on the Block
I am the new girl in the office here at Funk/Levis & Associates. After just three weeks in the office, I have absorbed information about our company, learned details about our clients, and mastered the coffee pot. As a recent university grad, I have also appreciated the exposure to the professional world and learning the importance of a strong company culture.
When you’re the newbie in the office it’s important to start on a positive note and make those first few weeks really count! Here are six tips I’ve learned so far:
1. Ask questions! People love to help and no one expects you to know everything on the first day… or even after the first few weeks.
2. Every office has a personality— figure out what it is and join in! It didn’t take long to discover that we have a lot of fun here at Funk/Levis! Our company is full of energy, professionalism, and a little bit of quirkiness. From my newbie perspective, I have enjoyed witnessing that same ‘funocity’ transfer into the relationships we have with our clients.
3. Be helpful! Notice the little things that keep your team members happy, like making sure the coffee pot is full in the morning. It may seem nit-picky, but noticing little things will show your new team that you care about the office and the company.
4. Jump in! Instead of waiting for coworkers to bring tasks to you, go find out who needs assistance! Your ability to multi-task, promptness and accuracy, and willingness to work on a variety of tasks will soon show coworkers what you are capable of handling.
5. Smile! Always smile and shake hands when you meet new clients, and try your best to remember names.
6. Make friends! Get to know your coworkers and mingle at company events. I’ve found that if you enjoy the work you do and the people you work with, you tend to perform better.
– Kerri (Account Assistant)